Friday, September 18, 2015

Miss Mary Kate Makes Four

Hmmm... Write Mary's birthday story or take a nap? That's a tough one! 

Mary, yesterday you were two weeks old. It's truly amazing how your birth has completed our family. Martin and Emi are both old enough to hold you and help take care of you. They both fawn all over you every time you're within eye sight. Lincoln is completely in love as well. He has been so gentle and sweet with you and quite concerned for your well being when you fuss. I couldn't have asked for a better fit. You, Miss Mary Kate, make four. I am so blessed to have four beautiful and heathy children! 

The day you were born and the days to follow:

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, You're Daddy and I woke up, got dressed and hurried to the hospital for your 11 am arrival via c-section. We were running 15 minutes late. I was so anxious about surgery we hardly said a word to each other while we drove.
After arriving, we were admitted to a room and the nurses came in and started my IV and questionnaire. We waited about an hour and a half in almost silence before they came in to wheel me into surgery. Daddy said a prayer with me and it did help calm my nerves a little. I was so emotional. I was excited you would finally be here, but scared to deliver, as well as uncomfortable waiting in the hospital bed. 
Shortly after 11am they wheeled me into the O.R. and I was immediately laid out vulnerable on the sterile table. I tried to be brave. The doctor chatted kindly with me, he was trying to take my mind off the anesthesia being administered. It helped a little. Once I got past the prick of the needle I was told I would feel my body start to get really warm and numb. It only took about 30 seconds for me to notice this. Suddenly I started to feel uncomfortable and sick. My neck was aching horribly and all I could say was "my neck..." And lay on the table, eyes closed, and moan. I really truly felt like I could die at any moment. The doctors and staff huddled around me and encouraged me to keep breathing and that it would pass. It must have been at least 3 minutes but I began to feel better and then they let you're Daddy come in to sit with me. I gripped his hand tightly and surgery began. 
I definitely was drugged. I remember feeling relaxed and ready. It only took about 20 minutes for you to make your grand entrance. The doctor said: "You're about to have a baby! You'll feel a little pressure as we push on your belly to get the baby out."
Pressure. Pressure. More pressure. It didn't hurt. It just kinda felt like someone was sitting on my stomach. Pressure. Then the doctor said: "How big were you're other three babies?" I thought he was trying to take my mind off the surgery again. I said, "Martin was just under 8lbs. Emi was 6.12 and Lincoln was right at 7lbs."
"Well, you definitely have you a big baby this time around." He replied. He then asked the staff to lower the bed. It was lowered. Then they tilted it to the right. More pressure. FINALLY (it's only been about 3 minutes at this point) they announced we had a head. I could hear a little suctioning and then your adorable little squall came next. I told Daddy to take a picture... And they held you up for us to see. You were huge! 8.9lbs and almost no hair compared to Emi and Lincoln. 
The doctor laughed and said between baby and all the amnionic fluid, I had probably lost at least 15lbs right there on the table. (That was exciting!) After that they asked if I wanted to do skin to skin. Originally I had planned to give it a try. This would have been my first opportunity to do so out of all the kids but I was hardly functioning because of the anesthesia so you're Daddy held you and I just watched. 

Very soon I was stitched up and wheeled back into our recovery room where they had taken you to be warmed and further evaluated. They gave you to me right away once I was settled and we cuddled and you cried. I remember thinking "she's crying." All the other kids had been bundled up and bathed before I had ever got to hold them. My brain couldn't handle the crying. You did finally settle down into sleep mode which continued on for the next few days. 
The first two days we had several friends come to visit. You were quite loved already. My recovery in the hospital was hard. I wasn't getting much sleep because of the hospital staff coming in at all hours of the night and day (story about that later!) and I was experiencing a lot of pain that I hadn't experienced with any of my other surgeries. Walking the halls was supposed to help but it only tired me more. I felt pretty helpless and I just wanted to go home. 48 hours after you're birth the Doctor allowed us to 
go home and recoup there. What a relief! 
Being discharged from the hospital was eventful. As usual they wheeled me down to the lobby where we waited with Emi for Daddy to pull the car around. Emi did cartwheels and tried to play with my hair, but I told her I couldn't handle the hair fixing at the moment. My head was spinning. Daddy arrived and we all loaded up. I sat in the front. 
It seemed like as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot you started crying so we quickly had to stop at a gas station so I could hobble into the back and sit next to you. Not easy. It then turns out that your Daddy pulled into a full service gas station in which a attendant started pumping our gas, washing our windows, and fixing our tire pressure. And we had NO CASH to tip. OY! I was so embarrassed and impatient. I just wanted to get home- not wait for someone to wash our windows. It seemed like forever before we were finally able to awkwardly thank the fellow and explain that we didn't know it was a full service gas station and apologize for not tipping him. Ugh! So awkward! We did make it home though and I got a nice three hour nap in. I woke up later to your Daddy yelling in his whisper voice at the other kids. "Don't you wake up your mother!" Too late. I hobbled out to the living room and was overwhelmed by the noise and mess. Toys all over. Snack plates. It then occurred to me, "Woh! I have four kids!" And it felt great. Overwhelming but great! 
Since bringing you home we have struggled with and conquered a little Jaundice and this past weekend- some major over supply issues. I finally feel like the last 36 hours you've been feeding like you're supposed to. Thank goodness! 
We've visited family and friends this last week and you've had your pictures taken a couple of times. 
We cuddle you every chance we get! Those few days that you had to sun bathe were so hard on me because I couldn't sit and hold you as much as I wanted. 
My favorite things about you thus far is your adorable little lips. They seriously are pucker perfect. Your eye lashes. The longest of any of your siblings as a newborn. Most of all, you're super soft peach fuzz that covers your cheeks, head, and arms. You are so incredibly soft! All I want to do is rub my face against your head over and over. I am so thankful you are ours and that you are here Miss Mary Kate Strickland! 


A couple of things I don't want to forget: add stories later...

Daddy toots while sleeping. Nurse and I laugh! Daddy has to use the potty while I take a shower. 
Mommy tells nurse to go away. 
Sick with nausea and neck pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment